Friday 29 July 2011

Back in Lazio

I return to Lazio frequently, at least once a year, if not more. My family moved to Rome when I was 2 years old and I grew up here. I left when I was in my late teens, but returned regularly to see my family in southern Lazio at a house my father had built between Rome and Naples, near the sea. As I have got older, I have wanted to return to many places I visited with my parents.

This blog is going to record my experiences and knowledge of the southern Lazio area, including historic places, beautiful spots, local cuisine and anything else I can find of interest. I was surprised to find that there are very few detailed guides to Lazio - certainly not like there are for Tuscany - and it struck me that many foreign people do not know this area and very few visit- even though they should!

The region I know well is southern Lazio. This is south of Rome where the old Pontine marshes used to be. The marshes were successfully drained by Mussolini in the early 20th century and the land was reclaimed as fertile farm land. Many different crops are grown here and this is also the region where buffallo mozzarella is produced. Local farms sell fresh buffalo mozzarella and buffallo meat as well as eucalyptus honey. The sea is very near with kilometres of sandy beaches and the mountains are near too with beautiful mediaeval villages and olive groves.

Bit by bit I will let you know of my discoveries and hope to interest some of you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment